Bigcommerce Ideas

Your forum to share ideas and feature requests to help improve Bigcommerce.

This is a place where the community can suggest ideas and enhancements for the Bigcommerce platform.

Since 2009, Bigcommerce has implemented more than 55 features requested specifically by community members like you. All feature requests submitted through Bigcommerce Ideas are evaluated by our product team. When determining which features to implement, we evaluate internal and external data in the form of client feedback and market research, customer support cases, telemetry data, resource requirements, design considerations, product strategy and industry trends in order to build an effective roadmap that allows us to do the most good for the greatest number of Bigcommerce clients.

If you could add something to Bigcommerce, what would it be and why?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Site Search Box Logic - Use "AND" not "OR"

Currently the Bigcommerce site search box uses the logic "OR" in all search queries. This means that if a customer types in two search words, he will get all products that contain the first word plus all products that contain the second word. If the first word appears in 80 products and the second word appears in 3,000 products, he will get about 3,080 results to look through.

This one factor is probably the biggest source of customer complaints for me since I switched to Bigcommerce a couple months ago. When my customers do a search, they want the one…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Storefront Merchandising  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix 301 redirect so parameters redirect to new URL

At current when a 301 redirect is set-up it does not redirect a URL that has parameters appended on the end.

This means any referral from email marketing, affiliates, PPC, Google Shopping, etc. (Basically ALL marketing efforts) is null and void because the customer is served a 404 page!

This is a terrible implementation of 301, especially if you decide to change URL structure across the website. You have two choices, don't do it, or take a loss in revenue for a sustained period until all revenue streams update to the new URL structure - which is impossible for historical…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Store Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enable an "out of stock message" for out of stock products (that don't have options)

Unless a product has options, there is no way to indicate to your customers that it is out of stock. You can hide it, redirect it to category page, or allow the product to be shown. If you hide it, visitors will get a 404 page not found. If you redirect it to the category page you may get a "faulty redirect" message from Google. If you make no changes, your web visitors will find the product but have no idea why you are not letting them order it.
    If you have options on the product, this problem doesn't exist…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Payments & Fraud Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Get an email when a customer sends a message via their order

I wish that we could get an email when a customer sends or responds to a message attached to their order. Having to check the home page all the time is tiresome as we spend most of our time in the order page and forget to check the home page. Please can the system send the message in an email to the store manager or at the least notify us that there is a new message.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Order Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Search 301 redirects

Currently there is no way to search through 301 redirects to delete or change existing 301s. You have a functioning search widget in your products and orders pages. If you could cut that code out and paste it into 301s it would save us a ton of work trying to get rid of bad 301s. Also your import function requires you to know your ID in order to designate dynamic or manual which seems a little more convoluted then it need be.

Also I have a problem with deleted 301s still sometimes showing up. Not sure what that is about.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Store Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. preorders

Limit pre-orders based on expected inventory and clearly let the customers know that the item is a preorder.

The ability to limit preorders is an option on the support portal. I tried to implement the feature but it was not successful. I did contact support and they said I was not able to limit pre-orders based on expected inventory.
    When products are ordered there is not an unlimited amount and we do not want to oversell the product preorders.

When setting up a product to be available for pre-order is a great way to let customers order a product that's…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Ability to redirect users to custom landing page after login

We have a private store that requires the user to log-in before placing orders. Right now, after you log-in, the only option is to take the user to the "My Account" page.

After talking to support, it seems this is the only option, and there's no way to change that without a redirect. The redirect means the customer could never get to the 'My Account' page.

Would be nice to have an option to choose a custom landing page for the customer to see after logging in, or be able to choose different options for pages they could be take…

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. "See Price in Cart" + "See Price at Checkout" option (Keep Manufacturers Happy + Sell More when selling below MAP (Minumum Advertised Price)

This is key to doing business in so many different product areas. Not only will Big Commerce gain more Clients but their Clients will sell a lot more products if this becomes and option. There should be 2 options since some manufactures have different rules on this.

Option #1
    See Price in Cart - The MAP Price should have a strike through it on the product page to show the seller is below MAP. The selling price will be hidden on specific item(s) until the item is in the cart. The price of the item(s) will only be displayed when…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Better Option/Option Set and Variation System with Parent/Child Products

To me, the Product Option/Option Set feature as it stands right now is a bit of a nightmare. I appreciate what they were trying to accomplish when they developed it, but in reality to me what was supposed to make it easier, in reality makes it harder and very redundant.

I used to just have every color, size, or variation of a product have it's own product page and didn't mess around a lot with options.

However, I think it is better SEO to have all your variations under one "Parent Product" or sku, so I started messing around more…

81 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    38 comments  ·  Products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your feedback and votes on this idea. I’m pleased to let you know that we are actively working on an overhaul of our product options. It’s a relatively big project that will take us a few months, but we are completely rethinking our product options work. We are laser focused on simplicity but still preserving the existing capabilities.

By no means an exhaustive list, but here are some of the things we are working on:

• We’re removing the requirement to use option sets. Instead you’ll be able to add options directly to products. If you want to still use option sets, you can.
    • More convenient than option sets, now you’ll be able to copy options from one product to another. Once you’ve copied them, you can edit them in any way you like. Add options or remove them.
    • You’ll be able create options right on the…
  11. Add Wholesale Pricing Options To Product Details Already !!!

Who the heck wants to create customer groups and only be able to do percentage discounts .... No way in **** did the making duplicate items help for wholesale either, why ? .... Because you can't keep inventory ....

We've been with Big Commerce since February of 2013 and expected to see this simple addition come about already .... Just add the ability to add wholesale pricing to the actual product details already .... Would ale life easier because not all businesses control pricing by percentage .... We are losing the ability to bring more sales because we have to…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. We need the ability to put specific options in drop downs on sale.

We need the ability to put specific options in drop downs on sale. now 1. customers will npot now the item has been put on sale. 2. customers will have to hunt for item to find it.3. you manually have to change the rules to reduce a price on a specific option. This is the biggest negative about Big Commerce. We have thousands of products in drop downs, and say we have a few too many of one color and need to reduce inventory, so we want to reduce the price to get rid of excess inventory temporary. There is…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Mobile card payment reader

I have an online shop through BC but we also sell our products at markets and via a small showroom, how about introducing a mobile credit card reader for all those out of office/ online sales. Etsy have introduced one ..... https://www.etsy.com/reader
    which just plugs into your mobile and reads CC cards anywhere,
    A Big C card reader which linked to our store would be the icing on the cake

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Payments & Fraud Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. contact-us form - allow client to enter subject line

The contact-us form submits emails with the standardized subject line "someone submitted the form from your 'contact-us' page", recently changed to "[client's email] submitted the form from your 'contact-us' page (which was entirely unnecessary because the client's email is already in the "from" field)

Clients are not stupid, most of them are able to accurately summarize what their question is about, thereby helping agents on our end to classify and process enquiries much faster.

More importantly, most ticket systems (like Zendesk for instance) will use the original subject line for the ticket. If a client receives a ticket with the…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. restrict users to edit a particular brand

Allow users to be able to edit/manage/remove products relating only to their own Brand.
    This would allow brands (or artists in my case) to have control of their own product area without having access to competitors products.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Store Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Default Privacy Policy

The law requires that websites provide a privacy policy which covers the data that is collected and how it is stored. Since BigCommerce is our platform and we really aren't in control of that information, it would be nice if BC provided a default and routinely updated sample Privacy Policy that we can tailor for our needs. This should at least address the issues that are directly controlled by the BC platform. Just like there is a sample Shipping/Returns page, this could be a default page when creating a new store.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    new idea  ·  0 comments  ·  Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Only show "EXC-TAX & INC-TAX" if the product is taxable.

Hello,

I find it quite stupid and annoying that if a product is not taxable it still shows INC and EXC TAX or VAT (IF your from the UK like myself)

It can confuse the customer having the same price for "INC and EXC TAX"

does it have TAX or does it not.

It would make 100% sense to only show both price's if the product is TAXABLE.

It will also make the whole layout better as it's not cluttered with extra prices.

Thanks.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Taxes  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Provide changelogs for themes

I wish I could view a changelog for Classic Next theme updates. It's nerve-racking to click that update button blind. Additionally, as someone who digs into the html and css a lot, it would help me do my job better if I knew what edits the devs were making.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add rule to change product diminsions based on options (sku)

sell items that come in different sizes.
    Say small length is 8 inches, medium is 12 inches, large is 16 inches, extra large is 20 inches.
    These are all variants of the same product.

So what I need to have accurate shipping is to be able to not only change the weight based on option rules but also the dimensions.

This is especially important now that UPS and FedEx have announced that as of January 2015 their shipping is going to be more reliant on package size in addition to weight.

If you can see the importance of this please…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Integrating Paymill getaway for our big commerce e-shop

Integrating Paymill getaway for our big commerce e-shop because Paymill is a company that doesn't charge you with ongoing payments like the other credit card processors , they only charge you with a commission when you make a sale.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  3rd Party Integrations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 72 73
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base